Fun with Time Machine

So far, I have mainly been using Time Machine to do daily backups and have been playing around with it less so. My use of Time Machine is more so I can take up computer juggling, a lifelong dream of mine.

I was, however, curious as to what kind of changes I have been making to a file. Having hourly differences would be nice, but is rather unnecessary. This is where Quick Look can become useful. With Quick Look if you have a file selected and hit the space bar, it shows a preview of the file. At its most basic, this is just file info. But for files that Quick Look knows about (such as text files, PDFs, iWork and Office files, and images) it will the actual document.

This works in the Finder only; not in save dialogs or anything nice like that. Or at least, this is what I thought. It turns out, it also works in Time Machine. Thus, if I am looking at the file in question in Time Machine and hit spaces, I get a preview. If I go backward or forward in time, it gives me that time’s preview.

Time Machine still isn’t as advantageous as, say, setting up a Subversion repository for all of your documents, but it has one big advantage: I don’t have to tell it to do anything to get it to back up.

Technorati Tags: , ,

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks a lot for this post
Website translation services

Popular posts from this blog

Xcode 3 language specification changes

iPhone and iPod Touch, 802.1X and LEAP

Redux on iPhone and iPod Touch, 802.1X and LEAP